General Area History
Accommodation Plans and photos

Treowen was probably built in 1627 by William Jones after he inherited a fortune from his uncle, a London merchant. The money helped pay for what is a very large house by local standards. Not long afterwards the family decided that the rather austere look of their new mansion was not grand enough, so they added the beautiful storeyed porch on the south front with the Jones shield of arms and a gable embellished with strapwork.

In the 1670's the family moved to Llanarth Court, near Abergavenny, which had by tradition been the residence of the eldest son. Treowen was let as a farmhouse until it was sold to the sitting tenant in 1945. The only other major change to Treowen throughout its history came in the 18th century when it lost the top storey of the front half of the building, giving it a rather lopsided look from certain angles.

As Mark Girouard wrote in Country Life in 1960: "There is something very moving about the distant view of Treowen, rising suddenly, high and lonely, out of the fields. It has no park, for it has been a farm since the 17th century, but the lack of elaborate setting suits its character. It is not a sophisticated building but strong, massive and generous. The depredations of time and fallen fortune have removed a good deal, but nothing has been added: everything that is there is genuine, unaltered work of its age."

Return to top